Although you may be feeling dismayed at the prospect of finding the right job, work experience or apprenticeship during lockdown, it is important to keep searching. It may be worth considering interim roles during this period, which will bridge the gap between College and finding that perfect role. This will strengthen your CV, show your resilience, adaptability and provide you with an income whilst you continue your job search until things return to normal.
- Keep applying for opportunities that are listed. Many larger organisations will still be looking to start their apprentices in September.
- Take the opportunity to network on-line. With insight events moving on-line it is the perfect time to connect remotely.
- For at least the next few weeks we would expect that interviews will be conducted by telephone/video call. If you are not comfortable talking on the telephone, use this time to practice!
- Consider where you would hold a video all with a prospective employer – ensure that your background is clear, that your microphone is working correctly and consider how you would prevent interruptions.
- Still think about first impressions – dress for a video call as though you were attending the interview in person.
For more information on this please look at the Rate My Apprenticeship web site here.
Online work experience:
Uptree are offering the chance to complete online work experience with the large IT company IBM as well as other virtual work experience events on webinars. For more information please click here.
Year 12 UCAS:
To help you find useful information about the university application process for 2021 and preparing to start university in 2020, Coventry University delivers a range of webinars as below:
- Tuesday 12th May 2:00pm-3:00pm – How to write your Personal Statement
- Wednesday 13th May 3:00pm-4:00pm – Understanding the UCAS Process
- Thursday 14th May 11:00am-12:00pm – Student Finance and managing your money at university
- Thursday 14th May 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm – Why go to university? The benefits of higher education and Coventry University’s courses
- Friday 15th May 11:00 am – 12:00 pm – Preparing to start university in 2020. Staying motivated during COVID-19
For more information and to register your interest click here
Unibuddy Live – Coventry University
These live events are a great opportunity to instantly speak to current undergraduate students about; their experience studying at our university, living on our campus, what their degree programmes are really like and what it is actually like to study at University. Staff will also be on hand to answer any questions you or your students may have. Click here to register.
Any questions, please contact our Careers team.