Taking a Gap Year
Students take gap years for a variety of reasons – to see something of the world, to take a break from education, to improve their grades or perhaps to pick up some work experience.
There are many ways of spending a gap year, including:
- Working to save money for university
- Getting some valuable work experience, either paid or voluntary
- Travelling or working abroad
- Taking part in an organised gap year trip
For students considering taking part in an organised gap year, a good starting point is to take a look at the website www.yearoutgroup.org since member organisations have to abide by a code of practice and should therefore be reputable.
Students should consider the following questions when approaching gap year organisations:
- Who can take part and how are candidates selected?
- Who will benefit from the activity?
- How exactly would time be spent?
- How much will it cost?
- What do you know about the organisation providing the gap year experience?
For more information, see the gap year check list.
Get in touch
Tel: 01737 551 176
Fax: 01737 551 282
Coulsdon Sixth Form College